Monday, October 13, 2008

The Dead Sea (Jordan)

Well, we didn't plan on being at the Dead Sea today, but after taking an hour long cab ride for $40 to the Jordan-Palestine border crossing, we discovered that the border was closed early for Jewish holiday. So instead of going all the way back to Amman, we decided to go 20 mins down the road to Amman Beach on the Dead Sea. We purchased day passes to use the beach and facilities of a nice resort and made our way down to salty sea.











I am insisting on posting three photos of me floating in the Dead Sea, because I think if you have never been there, you simply would not believe how freakin' buoyant a person is in that water!!! I couldn't believe it when I first laid back for a float!








Keep in mind, in these photos, I am not supported by or sitting/standing on anything. The buoyancy is ridiculous. It actually makes it hard to "balance" in the water if you're in an upright position, because your entire body is trying to float to the surface, as though you're wearing water wings on all your limbs. You even notice the buoyancy when you are first walking into the water, because lifting your feet for each step is much easier, as the water pushes your feet towards the surface. It's undescribable. Also, I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the water has a very oily, filmy quality to it.





Here I'm in about 20 ft of water.... not touching the bottom, and not kicking. Just floating. Shoulders above the surface. The only drawback to the Dead Sea is that if you get any of that water in your eyes or mouth, you will not be a happy camper. I intentionally placed just a droplet of it on my tongue, and it tasted like I had pure gasoline in my mouth. A few minutes later, a little bit splashed in my eyes, and it stung like a BITCH. I calmly and blindly started making my way back to the beach where there are hoses, but the friendly lifeguard intercepted me with a bottle of water and doused my eyes clear. Last but not least, I had a tiny little blister/sore on one of my cuticles, and the Dead Sea water stung like rubbing alcohol on the wound. But it was an amazing experience, and apparently the water has natural therapeutic and healing qualities to it!

I had a near-death experience today. There I was, casually strolling around the resort, just minding my own business, trying to take a couple of nice photos, when all of a sudden, I am under direct attack from the absolutely horrific monster bee pictured above. This thing was as big as a golf ball! I assure you I did nothing to provoke it. But alas, those who know me, know that I do not shy away from bees. And as always, I stood my ground against it, completely fearless to the potentially lethal impalement it could have inflincted upon me. Not today, bee.... not today.


Dusk at the resort where we were staying.


Sunset over the Dead Sea, with the mountains of Palestine in the background (and a few people still floating atop the water). Beautiful.

No comments: