Saturday, October 25, 2008

Petra



This is me standing in the "Siq" -- a mile long pathway through a very narrow canyon that leads to the central part of the ancient city of Petra. When entering Petra via the Siq, the pathway has an ever so slight downslope... almost unnoticeable, as you can see in the picture above. But for the entire length of the Siq, the elevation change is something like 40 stories!! Crazy. This was VERY noticable on the walk back at the end of the day!



This is the exit from the Siq pathway / the entrance to Petra. Just thought this was a cool view, as it shows how tall and narroy the pathway is. As soon as you reach the end of the Siq pathway, you inevitably are left speechless as THIS comes into view....... (scroll down silly!!!)



A 2000+ YEAR OLD CITY CARVED OUT OF MOUNTAINS?!?!?!?! WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Just a cool shot of some galloping horses... with some ancient shit in the background. No big deal.


The camel in the background is like "I'm thirsty" and the other one is just like "EFFFFF."




Camels aside, I have made many furry, four-legged friends on this trip. This particular donkey wandered up behind me while I was taking a break in the shade. Soon afterwards, his young owner came over and started chit-chatting with me.... a boy by the name of Ibrahim, probably about 13 years old. He told me the donkey's name was Jack. I chuckled. Jack ass. Then the boy asked me for a smoke. That would mark the 5th or 6th time a child under the age of 16 has asked me for a cigarette on this trip. Naturally I gave him an entire pack.


One of the epic canyon views that can be seen while ascending the mountains of Petra.



A photo from the summit of the highest peak within Petra.



The Monestary at the Petra summit. The hike up there takes over half an hour and involves climbing over 800 rocky, uneven steps under the grueling midday sun. Some of the fatass lazy tourists rode donkeys up to the top, but we hoofed it. I nearly had a coronary. What the hell is a coronary anyway? Is it some kind of Mexican beer? (ehhh....I got nothing....)



Ahhhh.... nothing better than administering the proverbial "smell test" on one's own socks after having hiked in the hot desert for 6 hours. Dirty Dom at his finest.



Just a sweet-ass Jordanian military copter we saw on the roadside as we left Petra.

No comments: